Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Card Stars: What singer and slugger were separated at birth?

With a few days to go until spring training, and not much big Red Sox news going on since Big Papi's signing, I figured the time was right to unveil what I hope will be a fun recurring little sideline on Fenway Reflections.

The working title is "Card Stars" -- if you have any better ideas, please let me know -- and it's my own version of "Separated at Birth." The idea is this: comb through a stack of baseball cards (any vintage), and stop when you find one that bears a striking resemblance to a celebrity from outside sports. If the player once called Fenway home, that's all the better.

In honor of Valentine's Day and the memory of Whitney Houston, who better to start with than a Hall of Fame duo that includes one guy with a trophy case full of Gold Gloves and another whose walls are filled with gold records. One guy who set the tempo for his team on the field and in the clubhouse during the 1980s and '90s, and one who set the mood for countless make-out sessions during the same period.

Got an idea?

OK, how about I give you the player, and you come up with the celebrity (and no peaking down below).

Sweet swinging Andre Dawson (sorry for the Cubs card, but it works best for this purpose)....



and....


Got a guess yet? .......





Sweet singing Lionel Richie!


What do you think? Am I crazy or right on? Let me know -- and if you have your own "Star Cards" candidates to offer up, bring 'em on!

1 comment:

  1. I think you're on to something! Keep it going.

    ReplyDelete