Saturday, June 4, 2011

That's the author on the right


Welcome to Fenway Reflections & More, where I hope you'll enjoy reading about some of the unique individuals and experiences I've encountered in a lifetime visiting Fenway Park.

Many of the stories I'll share are of people I met in researching and writing my latest book, Fenway Park - The Centennial, which will be published by St. Martin's Press this September in advance of the ballpark's 100th birthday next year. Others I've encountered during more than a decade as the publications editor at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, where I've had a first-hand look at the incredible Jimmy Fund-Red Sox relationship and the healing power of baseball.

Because I hope this will become a place where all Citizens of Fenway congregate, I encourage you to write in with your own memories of Yawkey Way, baseball and otherwise. Maybe you saw Pele play there, or met Bruce backstage, or "struck out" in the old bowling alley underneath Lansdowne Street. Perhaps you proposed to your wife in the bleachers, caught a ball in the Monster seats, or slapped Yaz's hand during his last lap around the park in October, 1983. If your tale is a good one, maybe you'll end up profiled here yourself. (Don't worry, I'll ask you if it's OK first.)

So thanks for stopping by, and I hope you'll return often. I can't guarantee every entry will be the literary equivalent of Game Six of the '75 Series, but I'm going to give it my best shot.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Hey Saul,

    Welcome to the blogosphere. I spent yesterday afternoon -- all of it -- at Fenway, where Henry, our 7 year old, announced this would be his first complete Red Sox game. Six hours and one Papelbon implosion later we were still there.

    Blogging can be thankless, but keep it up. You may want to post something on SoSH to announce your arrival? Anyway, good luck.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill -- was just going over some old blog posts and came across this comment. It looks like I never responded, and now Henry is in high school and Teddy (and Jason) are about to graduate. Time does fly, huh? Congrats to you and Sue for getting one through!

      Delete
  2. I hope you keep this blog going. It's a crappy 140-character world now, but some of us still want content. Especially Fenway stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeri -- Just going through some old blog posts and realized I somehow never replied to you. I apologize and hope you are still reading -- and still rooting!

      Delete